Thursday, January 17, 2008

Caution, Mini-Rant Ahead!

Today I am sick, although not as sick right now as when I left the house, and am feeling generally crappy. In fact, I probably shouldn't be posting when I feel like this. Add to this the fact that it is a blizzard outside and I wish I was still home in bed and you have the formula for a fantastic day. The light at the end of the tunnel is L and my having a date later! Wahoo!

I am two days into school, and so DONE! I know I wrote in my last post that I will miss it, but I really don't think I will. I can't wait to get into the real world and have a job and get married and have babies and do all sorts of grown up things. The comment I get that I hate most of all is about the time off we get when we're going to university. "Four weeks off? Hah. Must be nice." "Oh, four months for summer? You'll have a rude awakening when you get into the real world." What these people don't take into consideration is that you need this time so that the mush inside your head that used to resemble a complex thinking organ gets time to regenerate before you start the four arduous months all over again. Plus, I live for the day that I can join the real world. I am so done with student and university life. My argument for these people is that in the real world you can more often than not leave your work at the office (or whatever, the job in general), while in school you carry it on your shoulders and in the back of your mind everywhere for the semester. Sign me up for a full time job with evenings and weekends off anytime, and send me a memo.

"The problem with university students is that they come out of school knowing too much and knowing how to do too little." A little something one of my professors said on the first day of classes on Monday. It really made me think. I think about how I am taking five years to get a degree that leads me into nothing specific (except grad school) while others can go to SAIT for two years and have a clear cut career. Sigh. Why didn't I go to technical school? Honestly, when I switched into Psyc I had the ambition of being a police officer. I still think that that would be something I would enjoy, so I'll have to keep thinking about that.

Those are my thoughts for the morning, and the past two days. I have to get to work on my term paper, as I know I won't have time to do it later in the semester.

1 comments:

Louamonster said...

I like "that used to resemble a complex thinking organ" a lot. You're very silly. And I agree, also. And also CANNOT WAIT until date time!!!